Village of Schaumburg, Illinois
Schaumburg, IL (population 74,227; daytime population 150,000), is a dynamic, progressive community located 23 miles northwest of Chicago and 10 miles west of O’Hare International Airport in the heart of the northwest suburbs. Positioned at the epicenter of two major interstates, I-290 and I-90, Schaumburg is a thriving economic center that is home to more business in Illinois than any other community outside of Chicago and includes the corporate headquarters of Zurich American Insurance and Motorola Solutions.
Beyond holding the distinction as the economic center of the northwest suburbs, Schaumburg is a community of neighbors with first-rate services and amenities offering those who live there a high-quality life. Amenities in this village that encompasses just over 19 square miles include excellent schools, the second largest public library in Illinois -Schaumburg Township District Library, Schaumburg Boomers baseball, and the award-winning Schaumburg Park District featuring the 135 acre Spring Valley Nature Center. The village is also home to the Prairie Center for the Arts, which hosts local entertainment as well as international touring acts.
While Schaumburg is probably best known for iconic Woodfield Mall, which is the 12th largest mall in the U.S. with 300 stores, the village also has 67 shopping centers, 220 restaurants and 30 hotels including the Schaumburg Convention Center, which attracts tourism to Schaumburg in the form of visitors, events and large exhibition shows.
Schaumburg is seeking a seasoned leader to fill the role of Fire Chief, a position that will manage and guide the second largest municipal fire department in Cook County.
He or she will promote a strong, transparent and inclusive leadership style that fosters a culture of respect and consistent accountability. The future Chief will be knowledgeable of current trends bringing innovation, contemporary and fresh ideas to the department while demonstrating a high level of experience in assessing fire and EMS service models.
This position reports to the Village Manager and works as an integral part of the executive management team. The Fire Department has a budget of $24.2 million, a total staff of 136 employees and five fire stations. The department employs 122 full-time sworn personnel including the Chief, 1 Deputy Chief, 1 Battalion Chief, 5 Captains, 21 Lieutenants and 93 full-time firefighter/paramedics.
In 2016, the Fire Department responded to 8,400 incidents of which 2,800 were fire-related and 5,600 were EMS-related. The department has an ISO rating of 2 and with accreditation work well underway, anticipates achieving accredited status in 2018. For more information about the Village of Schaumburg and the Fire Department, visit the village’s website at www.villageofschaumburg.com.
Successful candidates will:
· Demonstrate a minimum seven to ten year commitment to successful supervision of a complex emergency response service operation including fire, ambulance, hazardous materials, underwater rescue and recovery, high angle, trench and confined space rescue. Key management priorities include implementing the recently adopted department strategic plan and maintaining department accreditation status once it is achieved.
· Display a willingness and capacity to develop and support a high performance organization.
· Exhibit a command of the principles and practices of fire department operations and fire administration theory and techniques.
· Possess highly developed oral and written communication skills and a proficiency in standard office technology.
· Ideally candidates will have a master’s degree in Fire Science Management or related field, however a highly qualified candidate, who possesses a bachelor ’s degree and extensive fire management experience, may be considered. If the selected candidate does not currently have a master’s degree, he or she will be required to obtain one within the first three to five years of employment.
· Minimum of seven to nine years of progressively responsible experience in firefighting, fire rescue, fire prevention and education, with three to five years of fire management experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge skills and abilities for this job.
· Residency is not required but strongly preferred; At a minimum, the successful candidate will need to live within fifteen (15) miles from the corporate boundary of the Village within twelve (12) months of hire date.
Starting salary range is $140,000 – $160,000 DOQ. An attractive benefits package will also be offered. Apply online with resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references by April 21, 2017 to the attention of Heidi Voorhees or Kathleen Rush, 630 Dundee Road #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847) 380-3243.