Website Arlington County
Arlington County is looking for an experienced, progressive senior level manager to lead its nationally recognized Fire Department. This Fire Chief will direct the overall operations in an all-hazard organization to deliver essential emergency and non-emergency services to the community to include fire suppression, fire education and prevention, special operations, and EMS services.
The Fire Chief reports directly to the County Manager and is responsible for setting the overall department strategy and direction, collaborating with other County agencies, and building inter-jurisdictional/regional relationships.
- Setting, communicating and implementing a strategic plan and vision for the department;
- Delivering timely, cost effective and efficient all-hazard approaches to community services;
- Using data to comprehensively assess operations and providing a vision to examine alternative forms of service delivery that may improve responsiveness and/or enhance resource conservation;
- Collaborating and demonstrating an ability to build rapport with elected officials, peers, community representatives, County leadership, department staff, and association leadership and building partnerships at the local, state, and federal levels to achieve the ACFD vision, to secure resources, and to advocate for the County, department, workforce or community interests;
- Engaging citizenry to foster support, input, and prioritization of needs for service delivery;
- Predicting or adjusting priorities and services through analysis of performance measures and other analytical data;
- Enhancing collaboration with other County agencies on mutual issues including Police, Emergency Management, Sheriff, and Public Health and with other local, regional, and federal public safety agencies and other public-sector organizations;
- Directing the preparation of the budget and managing expenditures for all department and grant funding efforts;
- Directing the development of operational and administrative procedures, departmental policies, programs and initiatives;
Promoting professional development, coaching and mentoring and fostering a work environment that motivates individuals to excel in their areas of responsibility; and
- Managing change proactively and fostering a climate that embraces change.
As a department head, this position is responsible for hiring, transfers, promotions, demotions, and implementing significant disciplinary actions while an Assistant Chief manages day-to-day operations through three Deputy Chiefs.
The successful candidate will have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science, Emergency Services, or related field and command-level experience managing multiple company operations. This Fire Chief will have a supportive leadership style that motivates, inspires and engenders coaching, mentoring and team building, and fosters cooperative relationships within the Fire Department and with County leaders, the community, the County Board, and regional, state and national partners and stakeholders.
The preferred candidate will also have a Master’s Degree in Fire Science, Emergency Services, or related field and leadership certifications that indicate professional achievement such as National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer, Center for Public Safety Excellence Chief Fire Officer (CFO), Incident Command System (ICS) 400, Fire Officer III and Instructor III.
For more details about our benefits, please click here. Interested qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by the preferred filing date of June 4, 2018.
For details about the position, or to apply, visit https://careers.arlingtonva.us/ and click on “Apply Now”. Contact the Human Resource Analyst at 703-228-3502 for more information.
To apply for this job please visit careers.arlingtonva.us.